Best Places To Visit For Makar Sankranti In India With Some Fun Facts!
Makar Sankranti is one of the most celebrated festivals of India. Every year on this day, people from all parts of the country come together to celebrate it with fun activities and delicious treats. If you’re looking for a fun and unique way to greet the first day of Magh (the month of Makar Sankranti) with joy and festivities, then why not hit the road and explore some of the best places to visit in India? From spectacular temples to vibrant fairs and amazing landscapes, we’ve got you covered! We’ll also share some interesting facts about this special occasion so that you know exactly why it’s so important to Indians!
Fun Facts about Makar Sankranti
Makar Sankranti is a major Hindu festival celebrated in almost all parts of India. It is also known as the kite festival as people fly kites on this day. Makar Sankranti is celebrated on the 14th of January every year and marks the beginning of the sun’s journey towards the north or Uttarayan. This day also marks the end of the month with winter solstice and the start of longer days.
Makar Sankranti is celebrated differently in different parts of India. In Maharashtra, it is known as Magh Bihu and in Tamil Nadu, Pongal is celebrated. The main attraction of Makar Sankranti celebrations is flying kites and eating til-gul (sesame seeds and jaggery sweets).
Here are some fun facts about Makar Sankranti:
1. Makar Sankranti is one of the few Hindu festivals which falls on the same date every year – 14th January.
2. The word ‘Makar’ means Capricorn, which is the zodiac sign that the sun enters at the time of this festival. ‘Sankranti’ means movement, referring to the movement of the sun into Capricorn.
3. On Makar Sankranti, Hindus offer prayers to Sun god, thanking him for his life-giving energy. They also take holy dips in rivers, ponds and other water bodies.
4. In some parts of India, kite-flying has become a sport on Makar Sankranti with competitions held at various venues in the country.
5. The festival is celebrated with great enthusiasm in Gujarat where it is known as Uttarayan. People from all over the world visit Ahmedabad to witness this colorful event.
6. Til-gul is an important part of Makar Sankranti celebrations and is offered to friends and relatives as a token of love and affection.
Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan, is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. Every year, Jaipur attracts thousands of tourists from all over the world.
Makar Sankranti is one of the most important festivals in Jaipur. It is celebrated with great enthusiasm and joy. On this day, people exchange sweets and gifts with each other.
Book 5 Nights 6 Days Golden Triangle Tour Packages (Delhi Agra Jaipur) and get an special discount on instant booking.
The Jaipur Literature Festival is another event that takes place during Makar Sankranti. This festival is a celebration of literature and attracts some of the biggest names in the literary world.
Fun Facts about Jaipur:
-Jaipur is known as the ‘Pink City’ because of the pink color used on the buildings in the city.
-The city was founded by Maharaja Jai Singh II in 1727.
-Jaipur is home to two UNESCO World Heritage Sites – The Amer Fort and The Jantar Mantar Observatory.
Ahmedabad is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. It is known for its heritage buildings, temples, and museums. Ahmedabad is also a popular shopping destination. Makar Sankranti is a major festival in Ahmedabad. The city comes alive with colors and festivities during this time.
Haridwar is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. Situated in the state of Uttarakhand, Haridwar is known for its religious significance and beautiful scenery. Every year, hundreds of thousands of people visit Haridwar to take a dip in the holy River Ganges and participate in the many religious ceremonies that take place there.
Makar Sankranti is one of the most important Hindu festivals and it is celebrated all over India with great fervor. On this day, people take a dip in holy rivers like the Ganges, Yamuna and Godavari to cleanse themselves spiritually. The city of Haridwar comes alive during Makar Sankranti with a number of special events and festivities taking place. If you’re looking for a place to celebrate Makar Sankranti this year, here are some of the best places to visit in India:
1. Kumbh Mela: Kumbh Mela is held every 12 years at different locations around India and it is said to be the largest human gathering in the world. The next Kumbh Mela will be held in Haridwar from January 15th to March 4th, 2019. During this time, over 100 million people are expected to visit Haridwar to take a dip in the holy river and participate in various religious rituals.
2. Allahabad: Allahabad is another popular destination for Makar Sankranti celebrations. The Magh Mela, which takes place every year in Allahabad, is the biggest religious fair in India. It is believed that taking a dip in the sacred Sangam (confluence) of rivers Ganges and Yamuna on Makar Sankranti will bring peace and prosperity to one’s life.
3. Ujjain: Ujjain is a holy city located in Madhya Pradesh, India. It is known for its ancient temples and religious significance. During Makar Sankranti, devotees flock to the Mahakaleshwar Temple to take a holy dip in Shipra river and seek blessings from Lord Shiva.
4. Nashik: Nashik is an important pilgrimage destination for Hindus due to its proximity to Trimbakeshwar temple, one of the 12 Jyotirlingas dedicated to Lord Shiva. During Makar Sankranti, millions of devotees visit this temple to take holy dips in Godavari river and participate in various rituals.
Makar Sankranti is a popular Hindu festival that falls on the 14th of January every year. The day marks the end of the winter season and the beginning of the spring season. Makar Sankranti is also known as the harvest festival as it is celebrated at the time of the harvest season.
Punjab is one of the best places to celebrate Makar Sankranti in India. The state is known for its rich culture and heritage. On this occasion, people in Punjab dress up in traditional attire and offer prayers to the Sun God. They also exchange sweets and gifts with each other.
Makar Sankranti is also celebrated with great fervor in Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu.
Book The Golden Triangle and Beyond Tour 10 Days and enjoy these 3 major cities – Delhi, Jaipur and Agra.
Vadodara is a beautiful city located in the state of Gujarat, India. It is known for its architectural beauty and historical significance. The city has a rich cultural heritage and is home to many temples, mosques, and other religious sites. Makar Sankranti is a popular festival celebrated in Vadodara. It is a time when people come together to celebrate the harvest season and exchange gifts with family and friends. The festival is also an opportunity to enjoy the city’s delicious cuisine and take part in its many traditional activities.
Makar Sankranti is an auspicious festival celebrated all over India with great enthusiasm. We have outlined some of the best places to visit during Makar Sankranti in India and shared a few fun facts about this wonderful holiday. Whether you are looking for a spiritual experience or are just looking to explore the unique culture, there is something special waiting for everyone at any of these destinations. So why not take advantage of this opportunity and plan your next trip today! Hire Best Travel Agency in Jaipur and grab the best deal from Incredible Travel Leaders.